A fully online, comprehensive K-12 option.
Registration for SOLO Academy 2022-2023 is now open! Please ensure you have previously registered your student with the South Lane School District, and then fill out this form.SOLO Academy is an alternative, comprehensive, virtual K-12 school in the South Lane School District. It was created in 2020 as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our goal is to continue to offer an equitable, high-quality, individualized education to students from Kindergarten through High School Graduation. We recognize that the COVID-19 pandemic has changed the landscape of education for all of us. We want you to know that our motto as a staff is, “Stronger Together!” This basic theme helps us in all that we do. Our goal as a school is to come alongside families looking for a remote learning option and to help each student make progress academically and learn critical skills to become a well-formed student.
Our principal will work alongside each of our students and families, in partnership with our incredible SOLO Academy staff, to establish an Individualized Learning Path for each student. That ILP will help guide us to appropriate placement in classes and will help us to know the “game plan” to help your student find academic success. Our expectation is that every student has a team supporting them in our SOLO Academy program. Our teaching staff, our school administration, our students, and their families will work together to help guide and shape the academic opportunities for the school year. (Every SOLO Academy student needs an adult support person at home to come alongside them, to help structure their day, to hold them accountable to logging in and making progress, and to participate in our ILP team meetings).
Our program focuses on building literacy, developing math skills, and prioritizing Social-Emotional Learning. We are excited to partner with you to provide your student with this exciting opportunity to learn, grow, and become. Our vision statement encompasses this priority: “Every student is SEEN, RESPECTED, VALUED, and EMPOWERED to reach their full academic potential.”If you are interested in having your student attend SOLO Academy for the 2022-23 school year, please fill out this registration form. Welcome to SOLO Academy!
Here is a quick snapshot of some of our exciting changes for this year
2. Individualized Learning PathsAll SOLO Academy students will work directly with our SLSD teachers to make sure they are in appropriate classes and that we are meeting their direct, specific, academic needs.3. More Direct Access to SupportWe restructured our school calendar this year so that we can offer more direct access to students and families for academic and emotional support from our SLSD teachers. This means some of our classes are synchronous (meeting at a specific day and time, and attendance in these meetings is required for all students), and some of the learning is asynchronous (meaning at your own time).Because of the unique nature of online learning, we will hold students accountable to making progress toward their academic goals by staying on pace in their online classes. Students who are struggling to succeed in this format might need to consider transferring to a resident school at the beginning of the next Trimester.Unlike last year, we are NOT asking you to make a commitment for the entire school year. We will work directly with resident schools to allow, as best as we are able, for students to transfer in or out of our our program at the end/beginning of each Trimester throughout the school year. However, transfers will be approved based on space, so a transfer is not guaranteed.We will do our best to walk alongside you in this journey and support you and your student each step of the way. If you have further questions or concerns, please call us 541-942-3386.
- K-5 students will utilize an updated version of Accelerate Education, which has modified/updated content and addressed some of the frustrations we experienced this year. K-5 students will also receive memberships to supplemental learning opportunities (e.g. a free-to-families membership to ABC mouse for our K-2 students, monitored by our SLSD teachers, etc.)
- Grades 6-8 will learn primarily with Courseware, which is video-based instruction (similar to Khan academy), and each learning objective is broken down into small, manageable steps.
- Grades 9-12 will also learn primarily with Courseware, but will also have the opportunity to take courses in Odysseyware to earn the credits necessary to graduate. This will give us the opportunity to help students earn credit in the way they learn best. We will be able to serve students who are both on-track to graduate, as well as those who are credit deficient.
- For all students (K-12), we will be providing Edgenuity's "mypath," which is an online reading and math supplemental curriculum to help students learn at their individual level.